Your Lap-Band® is adjusted correctly when:
- Comfortable weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week
- Reasonable satiety between meals
- You can tolerated variety of foods
- You are comfortable
Your band is too tight when:
- Your have heartburn
- You have chest pain
- You can't tolerate solid foods
- You feel uneasy
Your band is too loose if:
- You stop loosing weight
- Lack sense of restriction
- You are able to eat steak or thick breads
- You are able to eat quickly with minimal chewing
- You are hungry
When should my band be adjusted?
- First adjustment no sooner than 6 weeks after placement
- Postpone first adjustment if you are losing weight and are comfortable
- Further adjustments are based on the band being too loose or too tight
- Band may be adjusted for pregnancy or chemotherapy or for other serious illness
- Weight gain will usually follow
When should my band not be adjusted?
- Before vacation or holidays
Why are adjustment necessary?
- Fat around the stomach and under band thins out as you loose weight causing band to loosen
- The saline in the band very slowly diffuses (leaks) through the band membrane loosening the band
How much fluid should be added to my band?
- 9.5 cm band: 1 ml at 6 weeks, 0.5 ml for second fill, 0.25 ml for additional fills
- VG band: 4 ml at 6 weeks, 2 ml, 2 ml, 1ml, 1 ml for additional fills